Type of Business: Restaurant
Cuisine: American, Seafood
Jump to member reviews
Continuously evolving over the last six years, this nourishing kitchen in the Rapid City Regional Hospital, masterminded by Scott Brinker, has endeavored to use local foods and garden specialties from their own garden.
1. From Scratch: Serves mostly (i.e., more than half of the menu) fresh food, prepared from scratch. Does NOT rely primarily on kits or prepared/partially prepared foods from commercial food services.
Comments: Most dishes are made from scratch.
2. Local/Organic: Offers at least some locally sourced and/or organically produced food and/or wild-caught seafood.
Comments: All seafood is wild caught and sustainable.
3. Pastured: Offers at least some pastured animal foods.
4. Organs: Offers some dishes made with organ meats (liver/paté, sweetbreads, heart, kidney, brains, etc.).
Comments: Once a quarter a feature item on the menu is an organ meat.
5. Cooking Fats: Cooks (sautés) in natural fats such as butter, lard, tallow, duck fat, coconut oil, or olive oil; uses lard, duck fat, or tallow for frying.
Comments: Butter. lard, coconut oil, olive oil.
6. Bone Broth: Makes own bone broths/stocks for use in soups, stews, gravies, and sauces (does NOT use canned broth or powdered soup bases).
Comments: Make their own stock.
7. Seasonings: Makes most of its own seasoning mixes (does NOT use flavoring packets or MSG).
Comments: Use fresh herbs and spices. No MSG.
8. Salad oils: Makes most of its own salad dressings using olive oil or cold-pressed sesame oil.
Comments: There is almost always one homemade salad dressing available every day.
9. Breads: Offers genuine sourdough bread.
Comments: Regulations make this cumbersome at this time.
10. Beverages: Offers lacto-fermented beverages (such as kombucha or kvass).
Comments: Not at this time, although it is a goal for the future.
11. Condiments: Offers lacto-fermented condiments.
Comments: Not at this time, but a goal for the future if regulations allow.
12. Desserts: Offers desserts made with natural sweeteners (such as raw honey, maple syrup, maple sugar, molasses, date sugar, palm sugar, coconut sugar, sorghum syrup, or malt syrup).
Comments: Frequently available made with local honey, real maple syrup, or berry desserts that need no sweeteners to be delicious.
Rating Created by: mwalkesNotify rater of changes to business info or rating criteria
Location & Contact
353 Fairmont Blvd
Rapid City, SD 57701